Ladakh – the dream destination for one and all, the land of magical Buddhist ex- kingdom. Ladakh is known for its awe-inspiring landscapes and unique culture. The arid mountains, picture perfect gompas, the whitewashed stupas, the colorful fluttering flags in the wind, the early morning prayer chants from the monasteries, the clear blue sky, the snow ranges, together makes Ladakh mysterious and alluring. This place is the ultimate dream destination for every traveler.
However, other than simple sightseeing and river rafting there are plenty of other things that simply cannot be missed while being in Ladakh. Here are the top 10 “To-Do” list for Ladakh
- Chhams Performance by Llamas– the Chhams performance by the Llamas of the monasteries simply cannot be missed. In case you are wondering what “Chhams” are, well “Chham is a beautiful dance performed by the llamas i.e. the Buddhist monks in the courtyard of the monasteries during religious and other festivals. The Chhams performance is colorful dance which includes a lot of costumes, headgears, and elaborate mask forms. Coming to Ladakh and not witnessing a Chham dance will be a great disappointment.
- Safari on the Bactrian Camels at Hunder – riddingon the double-humped Bactrian Camels along the beautiful Shyok and Nubra Valley is one of the best things you can experience on this earth. You have to simply do it to experience it. This route is a part of the ancient trade route. You are sure to get yourself transferred to some different era when you have a ride on the camelback.
- 2 mins at The Highest Cafeteria of the World – I bet you have had 2 minutes magi noodels at many places but enjoy the same sitting in the highest cafeteria of the world surrounded by the mighty Himalayan ranges, has a charm of its own. Something, which can never be forgotten and always remain fresh in your memory. So, if you happen to be in Ladakh, then do try eating at the highest cafeteria in the world.
- Trying out Yak Cheese & Yak Cheese Momos – you might have tried cheese from all over the world. Swiss cheese might be your favourite one. But while in Ladakh, don’t miss out on the chance to try out the delicious yak cheese and the Yak Cheese momos, which are also called as “Chhurpi”.
- Drive up to the famous Magnetic Hill– with the strange world that we live in, the “Magnetic Hill” in Ladakh in one of its strange components. It is a gravity-defying phenomenon. The vehicle, when placed in neutral gear, starts moving uphill at a speed close to 20kmph. However, there are many scientific reasons for this, while some say it is just an illusion. Well. Whatever it is, it’s definitely a unique experience and one must visit the place to just witness it. Magnetic Hill is definitely a popular tourist spot in Ladakh.
- Visit the Pangong Lake– Remember Kareena Kapoor in 3 Idiots, Ridding in a scooter in her bridal wear to finally see Amir Khan, her bae (in the movie)? And for the first time, we might just agree that the backdrop was way more mesmerizing that the pretty bride herself. Yes, that was Pangong Lake! This beautiful enchanting lake is definitely a must, must visit in Ladakh. The deep blue water, the never-ending sky above it, surrounded by the mighty Himalayas is nothing less than a fairytale story. It’s surreal and magical. The color of the lake changes with the weather. The water sparkles in the shades of blue, green, purple, violet – being transparent to a great depth. The popularity of Pangong Lake as rose to heights in the recent times after Bollywood blockbusters like “3 Idiots”, and “Jab Tak Hai Jaan”. Pangong Lake simply just cannot be missed for sure.
- Spotting a Snow Leopard– Ladakh is one of the rare places in the world where you can find “Snow Leopard”. The Hemis National Park is a home to more than 200 snow leopards which can be seen only during the winters. You can spot these beautiful animals here. This is indeed a rare sight and an experience worth it.
- Bike ride in the roads of Ladakh – going for a bike ride in Ladakh in surely to be occupying one of the places on your “Bucket List”. Riding along with your gang in the majestic fields of Ladakh along with your gang or with your bae is a dream for many. And certainly riding along the rusty, narrow, never-ending roads with the clouds floating above you is certainly a lifetime experience. And if you are among those adventurous bike souls, then you may drive to Khardung-La Pass which is at an altitude of 5,602 m – one of the highest motorable passes in the world.
- Enjoying Hot Butter Tea & Chang– you can be a Chai lover and have had chai (tea) from every nook and corner in the country but don’t call yourself a tea lover until and unless you have experienced the hot butter tea at Ladakh. After all when in Ladakh, do as the Ladakhians do! And if you in for having some fun, then you must try out the local brew called “Chang” which is made from fermenting miller in a porcelain pot. This is not something which you will get everywhere.
- Staying with a local family – Now, if you really want to get and experience a piece of Ladakh, then ditch those expensive, luxurious hotel rooms and make at least a one night stay at the humble homestays that are offered. This is a perfect option for the adventurous and backpacking souls. And take my word; this is will indeed be the ultimate experience that you can get from Ladakh. Waking up in a small, humble home of a Ladakhi surrounded by the mighty Himalayas, sipping on the hot cup of butter tea along with a hearty breakfast freshly made from the local kitchen. This is not something you will forget and cherish it all along your life, you know, you might just find your retirement plan.
So, now that you have found out your “To-Do” list, why wait longer to have all the fun? Trust me, if you have not been to Ladakh, you will never know what you are missing out on your life! Oh! And just to tell you if you want to have the ultimate experience then go for a bike trip to Ladakh. But remember, this one is for those adventurous and true travel souls out there. Log on to abhibus.com, book a bus ticket from Delhi to Manali and then start your amazing journey from Manali to Leh in rented bikes. You will find a lot of options for bike rents in Manali. Also, abhibus offers you great discounts at this time and makes your travel easy on the pocket. So wait no more, pack your bags, buy your tickets, and start the ultimate journey which you will carry in your memory for a long, long time.